How to apply for new ‘lockdown’ grants

How to apply for new ‘lockdown’ grants
The government is trying to support you

We are living during difficult times as the world battles against the COVID-19 coronavirus.

As we try to save lives, unfortunately many people’s livelihoods (the money they earn from the work they do) are gone.

However, if you have been affected by this situation, the government is trying to support you. They are offering different kinds of financial help.

Read below for our guide on how to get money that can assist you and your family to survive:

Chantel Cronje
Chantel Cronje - Head of Legal, Risk, and Compliance
4 May 2020 | 2 minute read

Coronavirus – ‘Social Relief of Distress’ grant

A special temporary grant will be given to people who are “most desperately affected by the coronavirus”. This means that during the lockdown you cannot provide for your own and/or your family’s most basic needs.

How much is the grant?

The grant pays out R350 per month. It will be paid out for three months and then you can apply for an extension for exceptional circumstances (if you are still having huge problems because of the effects of COVID-19). If your application is accepted, the grant will then be paid out for another three months.

The first payment will be made in May.

Who can get the grant?

  • It is only for people who are unemployed and who do not already receive other grants or money from the UIF.
  • You have to be a South African citizen, permanent resident or registered refugee.
  • You must be facing one or more of the following situations:
  1. If you do not get the grant, you will suffer great difficulty.
  2. You have been approved for a social grant, but are still waiting payment, or payment has lapsed (is not currently being paid).
  3. You are sick or medically unfit to work during this six-month period.
  4. The breadwinner in your house has died or dies during this period. You then need to apply within three months of their death.
  5. The breadwinner of the house cannot work because they have been sent to a government institution: This includes being sent to prison, a psychiatric home, an old-age home, a treatment centre for drug or alcohol abuse, or to a child or youth care centre.
  6. You are not receiving maintenance from a partner who has been legally ordered to pay so.
  7. You have been affected by a disaster such as a house fire.
  8. You are not getting other help from another organisation.

How do I apply for the grant?

You can apply for the grant by contacting the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa).

Here are their contact details:

Other grants

Child Support Grant

If you get a child support grant, you will get an extra R300 in May. From June to October, you will receive an extra R500 per month.

Note: You receive this amount per caregiver (the adult taking care of the children), not per child. 

Other Grants

If you already receive another grant, you will get an extra R250 every month, over the next six months.

With Legal&Tax you’re not alone

Remember, Legal&Tax is your companion during this challenging time.  If you want expert advice on how to follow the process of grant applications, you can contact us

Recommended articles
Legal Raise a Voice Against GBV Feature

Breaking the Silence

As we approach World Social Justice Day, it's crucial to shine a light on one of the most pressing issues facing South Africa: Gender-Based Violence (GBV).
Health Navigating medical emergencies 2023 Feature

Navigating Medical Emergencies

According to Gauteng Health MEC Nomantu Nkomo-Ralehoko, only 56% of critically ill calls within urban areas of Gauteng receive a response within 30 minutes from public ambulances.
Funeral Importance of funeral cover Feature

Understanding the Crucial Role of Funeral Insurance

Losing a loved one marks one of life's most profound and challenging experiences. Amidst the whirlwind of emotions, practical matters such as funeral expenses can add an overwhelming burden.
View our other information hubs