Protecting your Right to Parent

Protecting your Right to Parent
How the law helps protect your parenting rights

Every parent wants to make sure that their children are safe, nurtured and secure.

Even if you are unmarried or divorced, the law is on your side when it comes to your rights as a parent.

Let’s take a closer look at how the law helps protect your parenting rights:

Chantel Cronje
Chantel Cronje - Head of Legal Services
10 December 2019 | 3 minute read
Adobe Stock 193907997 Copy

According to the Children’s Act of South Africa, even after a divorce, the biological parent of a child still has full parental rights to their children, unless there is a court order that was granted against them.


This is the right to have a child live primarily with one partner. It also gives the parent the right to supervise the daily life of a child, making sure that their needs are taken care. 


This means having the right to maintain a personal relationship with your child. Practically, this means you must be allowed to see, spend time and communicate with your child.


The right to guardianship means that you have the right to take care of your children’s interests when it comes to legal and other processes. This includes safeguarding your child’s property interests and representing your child in legal matters. You also have to agree and give official consent in situations such as if your child (under the age of 18) gets married, adopted, removed from South Africa or applies for a passport.


If the child’s other parent has tried to deny you any of these parental rights – and there is no court order ruling that you are not allowed to access your children – then the law can help

According to the Children’s Act, the unmarried or divorced biological parent has full parental rights to the child, if certain conditions have been met:

  • If you have been legally identified as the parent of the child. This means you would be listed on their birth certificate or would have taken a medical test to prove your biological connection to the child:
  • If you have helped or tried to help towards the upbringing of your child for a reasonable time.
  • If you have helped or tried to help towards the maintenance expense of your child for a reasonable time.

If the other parent has denied you access to your child, you can apply for the right to care and have contact with them at the Children’s Court.

If you have been denied guardianship rights, you need to apply at the High Court.

If you want both care/contact and guardianship rights, then again the High Court is the authority that can help.


Parents, if you struggle to pay for your child’s needs, such as school fees, you can apply for a child social grant. 

The grant is a set amount of money that the government will give you each month to help raise your child.

It applies to children under the age of 18.

To qualify for the grant, a single parent or caregiver must earn R3 300 or less per month. You can apply for a grant at the nearest South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office, for free. 

With Legal&Tax you’re not alone

 A nurturing parent helps build a caring community and strong South Africa.

Your best companion to help you with expert advice with all parenting concerns is a caring Legal&Tax lawyer. Contact us for individual assistance.

Recommended articles
Domestic Abuse
I am living with an abuser and am scared to be in lockdown with them
I am living with an abuser and am scared to be in lockdown with them
It's not just a physical attack, but can also include, sexual, emotional, psychological or economic harm
Mom Daughter
Divorce & co-parenting during the lockdown
I am divorced and co-parenting. What happens to my children during the lockdown?
Lts Website Banner Images 1920X685 Tele Teacher
Is your child safe at school?
For any parent, school safety must simply be a guarantee. However, the recent tragedy in which 13-year-old Enoch Mpianzi died during a school camp for Parktown Boy’s High was a reminder that sadly this is not always the case.